Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let us now look back at our fondest console RPG memories.
Dearest, dearest all of you QB45/QB71/FB community,

Hello tonight, and you remember the very days when RPGs (or Role Playing Games, as you all obviously know! Smile ! ) really took off and then plenty on the console gaming format from back in the day? Well, I believe that the Final Fantasy (FF) series was without doubt surely one of the classic RPG series that has thrived and thrived in massive, massive numbers over SO many years since first introduced way back in 1987 for the NES/Famicom — and man, it has been THIS long, believe me!! Big Grin

Speaking of which, I have just recently discovered a special Flash-based movie that so proudly brings you back such awesome memories of the many FF games and how they were first introduced in Japan (even right down to their actual release dates, too! :o ), and you can see it right here. Three notes to keep in mind now: 1) much of the words are in Japanese; 2) it takes a *sure* while for the movie to fully load up; and 3) there is a typo I discovered near the end where it accidentally said “PS3” ( :???: ) instead of “PS2” like it was supposed to on one of the games that they were showing.

Regardless, if you are an RPG fanatic, you owe it to yourself to see this wonderful little movie that I am showing you here. It will sure bring back memories!! Cool !

With all of that said, be catching you again. :king:

BRINGING YOU BACK SOME FIRED-UP GAMING MEMORIES,

[Image: file.php?id=32]
Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow” ::: Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger” ::: Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
Original Creator of the “The New FreeBASIC 8-Bit Palette Machine”
url=http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/][Image: file.php?id=194][/url]
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
When I saw the topic, I figured you meant ASCII-based RPGs. :lol:
To Frobozz:

Actually, all I am showing you are some fond memories pertaining to console RPGs, not ASCII-based ones. Big Grin You know, NES, Super Nintendo, Genesis, PlayStation, PS2, that sort of thing. That is what this new topic from me is about, really. You see my point now? Wink

Anyway, talk to you again, and I just wanted to let you know that.

- Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow” ::: Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger” ::: Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
yeah, i didnt watch that movie, cuz i cant even see the chars theyre all "??????????? ???? ????????" lol

but i agree with you, console based rpgs in the 90's were (and still are to a certain extent) where it's At. i had countless hours of enjoyment from them, and still do to this day.

nice topic man, just thinking about it brings back nice memories 8)
To Cha0s:

Hey, thanks a lot, man! Cool=b

And apparently, the way you get rid of the many question marks shown on that Flash-based movie is for you to snag yourself a Japanese Language Pack for IE, man. A good starting point I think for you to begin is right here. There, in the pull-down box where you select your language option, be sure to select “Japanese - with Language Pack” (recommended on Windows 9x/ME/NT 4.0 only). And more importantly, be sure follow the instructions there as well. Try it! Big Grin

And you are right though, Cha0s. RPGs were very popular from back in their day on, and are still without doubt remembered today, *particularly* on the more popular consoles indeed in Japan (like Super Famicom and PlayStation and PS2 to name some!), too. :wtnod: And as for the graphics, the RPGs themselves were known for having some of the ABSOLUTE BEST 2D art ever (two outstanding examples would be Final Fantasy VI and Bahamut Lagoon, both from SquareSoft originally on the Super Famicom system in Japan!! ^-^=b ! ). They’re just unforgettably awesome inspiration for us to live by, let me tell you fair and square!! Wink

Believe me, we are gonna have some fun with this topic here. And catch you again now, hear me? Cool !

TALKING ABOUT SUCH SHEER FASCINATION IN THE RPG,

Adigun Azikiwe Polack
Quote:fair and square!!
Pun? :lol:
I know plenty of Squaresoft games had amazing art (Seiken Densetsu 3 anyone?), but there are some great more obscure RPGs as well. Personally my favorite RPG developer is Quintet, though their status is currently unknown. They developed the Soul Blazer series-- Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma-- And Terranigma remains my all time favorite RPG. Shame it came out in 1996 right at the end of the SNES's lifespan...
Enix published some great RPGs in their time as well. I believe they published the first Star Ocean... Along with the two 7th Saga games. (took a bit of getting used to, perhaps, but were great once you got into them-- no wait, just the first, I can't read japanese to play the second. :wink: )
Tales of Phantasia anyone? Big Grin
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Man, I used to love playing Lagoon...

*goes to play Lagoon*

:lol:
Quote:Tales of Phantasia anyone? Big Grin

Hell yeah!!!
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
My favorite console RPGs...

Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)
Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)
Final Fantasy 7 (Playstation)
Vandal Hearts (Playstation)
Pokémon Red/Blue, Silver/Gold, Ruby/Sapphire (Game Boy) ... logged over 500 hours on these ones, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Smile

Come to think of it, I haven't really been that many RPGs that have made a big impact on me. But it could be that I haven't really played console games in the past four years or so. I did just recently get a PS2 though so maybe that will change this summer.
Pete's QB Site: http://www.petesqbsite.com