Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A QBer becomes famous?
http://www.freejeremy.com

Hi folks, thought I'd stop by to share this tidbit with you. This might be old hat for all of you, I dunno.

Jeremy Hammond, the guy who wrote ShellShock and hosted VPlanet on Hulla-balloo for all those years, has been raided by the feds on hacking charges.

Read more in the link.

Cheers.

mags
eep your eyes open and a monkey you'll see -- oh, everybody wants my cocoa crispies.
famous? I'd say infamous.

If he accessed the site illegally, then he broke the law. The punishment may be a bit harsh, yes....

Well tough titties.
He's cool ^^

I doubt he did anything. I mean if I remember they've been lookng for something to blame him for ever since hackthissite
[Image: sig.php]
Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.
I was wondering what happened to Hammond, and why he quit hosting VPlanet. But yeesh, you shouldn't hack into privately-owned computers, buddy.
I don't think he quit hosting V Planet!... In fact, all the Hulla-Balloo pages are still up. Nek just moved it to his own server when he registered VPlanetMag.com and took over the site.
Pete's QB Site: http://www.petesqbsite.com
Ya gotta have sympathy for someone getting busted on this kind of thing. It's like speeding tickets, you know that they can catch you easily, but they rarely do it, and when they do you're pissed off. "Come on, everyone pulls that speed there"
Okay... the ol' "ftp.hulla-balloo.com" login was changed too, I was booted out for awhile (though I really don't have any business being in there anymore).

Hacking a website isn't like getting a parking ticket. It's accessing private data without permission, and it's as illegal as breaking and entering, even if it's easy for some people. If you're caught hacking and the owner presses charges, you will be prosecuted. Furthermore, hacking a federal government computer can get you sent to jail for a few decades.

Of course, if he *didn't* "do" it, as the website claims, that's a different story. But hacking is no light accusation.
I thought it was hackers that were the good guys and crackers that were the bad guys. . . They both do the same thing, but hackers do it to alert somebody that there is a problem with their site's security. Crackers actually do something harmful.

Check out this thread: http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=55167
974277320612072617420666C61696C21 (Hexadecimal for those who don't know)
there is several types of hackers
Black hat <-- The evil ones, they alert the world of an exploit or exploit the securoty hole themselves
Grey hat <-- neutral, thr find a problem and do nothing
White hat <-- the good guys, some companies even hire these guys to find exploits and fix them.

then there are
Script Kiddies <-- find someone elses exploit and runs a script to exploit it. They usually get caught. They shouldn't even be considered hackers.
Crackers <-- hack programs, not security holes

that's how I see it
[Image: sig.php]
Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.
People have been "defining" that term for years now. But when charged with the equivalent of "hacking" in a US court, that means you've been accused of accessing private data without authorization. It doesn't matter what you do afterwords or why you do it, that's the crime you get charged with. If you do other stuff, you get more charges added.

Now Jeremy might not have broken into that computer, and/or he might not have looked at any credit cards, but that's what he's been charged with. Whether he did what he's been charged with is a matter for the courts, but whether what he's been charged with is illegal, it is, and it's serious.