Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tilework
(copied and pasted from rpgdx... damn this whole community split :p)
Well, just today I decided to study the artwork of several SNES rpgs and see if I could learn another thing or two... After quite a bit of staring at screen captures of Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer, I came up with this...
[Image: png_testmock.png]

And the 2x version-- I know it's more saturated, (shouldn't be) this is (I think) because I saved it with a different program than the first, must've been different encoding or something...
[Image: png_testmock_2x.png]

Going for the easy on the eyes, washed-out pastel look. The grass is based on (read: no edits, of course :p) Chrono Trigger's mountain grass, the houses are based on the cottages in Terranigma's village of Crysta... And that's the main thing I'm concerned about. I think they may look far too similar. As I said I did not edit or copy any tiles, but compare the above mockups to this screenshot of Terranigma:
[Image: terranigma1.png]

...and you'll see what I mean.
It's mainly the roof I'm talking about, obviously. It could just be me (tell me if it is), but I doubt it. I think I may have studied Terranigma's houses a bit too closely. Wink

I'm not sure if I want to redo the houses (that'd seem like somewhat of a waste), but anything I can do to make them look more original, well, I'll try it.

Anyway, there's two reasons I'm posting this:
1) To get general opinions on the art. This art isn't for any project, really, but I'm trying to really build my skill with this 'session' of studying and improvement.
2) To try and find ways to make the house roofs look more original. If I wasn't so concerned with not looking like a rip-off I might just leave them, but...

So... I guess that's it. Fire away.
I've never seen any of those games,. but I have to comment,. Those look really sweet... 8)
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

[Image: 11895-r.png]
yeah i agree, those look pimpin :king: as for them looking like terranigma, yeah, it does look close, this is what id suggest:

since you "copied" terra~ to make those, now instead of looking at terras, look at yours and make a "copy" of that. and when you get that refined then make a "copy" of that. eventually your individual style will show through more clearly.

i dunno if that made sense but yeah.

btw, rattrap youve never played Chrono Trogger, Omg, get snes emulator and play it NOW :lol:
:lol: Dude.. I have a real SNES, no need to emulate... lol,.. I'll have to check it out sometime then....
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

man, dont remind me... i had the original ct pak, youll never find it anymore, last i heard its so mega super ultra rare. never let your friends borrow game paks.. ever Cry Cry
Quote:youll never find it anymore, last i heard its so mega super ultra rare

*Shakes head*

http://video-games.search.ebay.com/chron...sacatZ1249

^^ *Ahem* :lol:
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

Most of those are either strategy guides or the Playstation version packaged with FF4 and...something else.
Yeah,, that,. and some are the SNES game pack things... Which, even if just 4 or 5, went against not finding any at all... Tongue
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

Usually when a game is considered 'ultra rare' or what have you is when it's complete, with the box and manual as well as the cartridge, etc... not to say the cart is worthless by itself though. Tongue
But I thought the idea here was to get the cart, and that it was unable to be found... :lol: :wink: in which any case, I did...
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)