Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft Cleartype
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/clea...tivate.htm

Of course microsoft would be an ass about firefox (the controls will only work in IE)

But once you turn it on... it turns fonts into teh sex! :D

It works best on flatscreens, and I guess some people might find it slightly too unfocussed looking, but It makes up for that with me by looking sexy.
Works fine in Firefox...but you have to have the cpl to do it...which IMO isn't a problem anyways. Big Grin
\__/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination.
I have Cleartype activated by default. It's the second option to smooth fonts in Windows XP, and I do prefer how it looks like.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
It doesn't work in FireFox because you can't do that kind of thing in FireFox, has nothing to do with the web design. But it's a Windows setting, so you don't need to do it through your web browser.

What Nate is talking about:

1) Right click desktop
2) Choose "properties"
3) Click the "Appearance" tab
4) Click the "Effects" Button
5) Make sure the "smooth edges of screen fonts" thing is checked
6) Select "ClearType" from the dropdown combo below that checkbox.
So basically it's bold with font smoothing?

Really, if people cant read their displays change resolution.. or change the default sytem font to like.. bold.. and smoothed..

then call it: Humptda Wowsa Lols
and have it as a feature..

Ms is clever
It looks bolder on small fonts because there are more pixels set, but it's just anti-aliasing designed for LCD monitors, and it does work better for readability than regular anti-aliasing.
Still, solve it by upping your res/text size..
Quote:you don't need to do it through your web browser.

I was wondering about that, I had looked in the advanced appearance properties before, But I never saw that. The Microsoft page also gives the option to "tune" Cleartype. Is that available locally too?

Quote:wah wah wah etc
no, its got nothing to do with changing resoloution... Its just a much improved way of smoothing fonts... That for some reason was not on by default. Perhaps because performance takes a slight hit.
Most LCD monitors only support one actual resolution.

The point of "ClearType" is to use the individual RGB channels to achieve a higher resolution in one direction, because they are distinct entities on LCD monitors. The result is clearer anti-aliasing that looks good on tiny fonts.

Here:
http://www.grc.com/ctwhat.htm
Damn, that is very smart. I did wonder why if you look closely, there is a fringe of faint colour evident on the edges of text.

I guess when resolution increases to the 4000 x 3000 range, then original AA methods will suffice.