Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering a new language
I have thought about trying to learn either C/C++ or Java. What are the advantages and disadvantages. Most of my programming has been math and graphics related, and my primary experience has been QB and some Pascal.
hrist Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am first.(I Timothy 1:15)

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.(John 3:16)
Java has to be interpreted, thus slower. But, cross compatible.

C/C++ = POWERRRRRRRR

Both the same difficulty of intermediate
am an asshole. Get used to it.
what do you want to do?

web stuff: Java

"real" (compiled) programs: C/C++

well, thats my point of view, myself, I'm learning C++...
/post]
Hmmm, thought I had the monopoly on foxes here...

Best language to learn? How bout spanish? Wink

Ok I'll try be more helpful. The syntax is pretty similar so it's not a huge jump from one to the other. Java is a 'cleaner' OOP language, and actually a bit simpler as a result. But personally I hate all that interpreted bytecode and JVM nonsense so I'm going for C++. But if I was impartial I'd say Java is a better long term bet.
In a world without walls and doors, who needs Windows and Gates?
Lua!

Heh, im just saying that becuase i just got it up and running, but it looks like fun! and it looks really easy too, i dont have to write my own anymore Smile

And on the subject of java, cant you compile java for specific platforms if you want too?

And c/C++ are the most cross platform langauges youll find, its just that some code might only work on one platform, while java can run with the same code on anything that supports it. Cell phone games anyone?
b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?
Hey, hard rock, let's create a company to produce Cell Phone games! Let's gather interesting and intelligent people Smile
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Hey, Nathan, your idea of a company for cell phone games sounds very interesting. If I'm qualified, I'd like to participate.

A few questions:
1) Is there a market for more of these games?
2) Would these games have to run under some particular operating system?
3) Or, would they have to run under a customized operating system? If so, I've done a few operating systems for micros.
4) Would the games be written in assembler?
ok ok ok ok ok, here is the deal.

learn Java first, then C++ will make alot more sense to you...

Porque espanol es mejor de todos los linguos.
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Quote:Hey, Nathan, your idea of a company for cell phone games sounds very interesting. If I'm qualified, I'd like to participate.

A few questions:
1) Is there a market for more of these games?
2) Would these games have to run under some particular operating system?
3) Or, would they have to run under a customized operating system? If so, I've done a few operating systems for micros.
4) Would the games be written in assembler?

I don't think he was being that serious Smile

But... yes there is a *huge* market for these games.
I dont recommend you a language. But i tell you what i did.

First of all, i learn basic, GW-BASIC more exactly, later i updated to QB.
Then when i feel the limitation i decided to learn C. It's a amazing language you almost don't have limits.
The next step was C++. I was .... (no words to describe that). I start to think as everything were objects.

Then i stop.

When i have to do something very quickly and small i use QB. If it goes beyond the limits of QB i use c/c++.
When i try something serious i think in c++. The objects are amazing things.
When i have to do something more serious i start watching what is being used, Python, Perl, Java, ...

But i think the basis are in QB, C y C++ if you know these three language (i say three) then move to a new language is adapt what you know from these.

But i start looking for what the market is demanding.