Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An old, stupid, fun program
Here's a MUD-ish game I made a long time ago.

Okay, this game is stupid:

It's stupidly optimized. As in, not at all. Don't try to compile it to an EXE because it prolly won't work. I knew absolutely nothing about memory conservation when I coded this, so just run it in the IDE with whatever /'s you need =)

It's stupidly large. I think it makes close to 40MB of files on your HD. Again, old code which could have been improved in a million ways but never will be =)

It's stupidly documented. You gotta check out the code to see what command words it will accept. Especially note the AUTOWIZ command which is what the first person who plays has gotta use (otherwise the whole game it pointless)

There's a stupid error. If you're fighting a monster and you run away, then come back into the room it will have all its health back. Sorry! =)

Now that all the stupidity is out of the way, here's the fun:

You can do pretty much whatever you want. Want a magical fire sword that adds three to your dexterity and lights up dark rooms? Just make one! Check out the EDIT command.

Here's what you basically have to do:

1. Log in and AUTOWIZ a character.
2. Make some basic rooms with the EDIT ROOM (or EDIT MAP..?) command. Don't forget to make a training room, and prolly a shop.
3. Make some simple items with the EDIT ITEMS command. Weapons, armor, torch, etc.
4. Make a monster with the EDIT MONSTER command. Something easy. You can equip it with items you've made.
5. add the monster (or items) to the spawn file of a room with the LOAD command.
6. view the spawn file of a room with the SPAWN command
7. spawn the room with the RESPAWN command.
8. destroy an item or monster with the DEST command (or DESTROY)
9. unload a monster/item from the spawn file with the UNLOAD command.

Those are the standard wiz commands. Enjoy!

*peace*

Meg.

(*** GAME CODE IS NOW POSTED IN NA_TH_AN'S POST ***)
Can't you upload it somewhere as BAS files?
Yes I agree. It's a bit... erm... much. It's covering over 30 pages or so Smile
I'm sorry, my school account just closed down so I don't have any webspace available at the moment. I'll look into if/where I have any from my isp.

Until then, the code can be cut/pasted into a text file and then renamed to a bas file, I think.

Sorry for the enormously long post(s). ^^

*peace*

Meg.
Don't worry Wink I did it for you:

Download meg's game from here: http://usuarios.lycos.es/firstqbasicforu...egsmud.txt

(sorry, I had to use .txt 'cause the #@#|@# server doesn't allow hot-linking certain file types).

Cheers.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Thanks a bunch, Na_th_an! Does the game work okay for you?

Lol. Looking at that code makes me cringe, now. Maybe someday I'll have to start the thing from scratch and do it the right way.

Sometime within the next couple weeks I'll prolly fire up the BBS Door game I wrote last year and run it off my comp. I'll post a telnet link here for anybody who's interested.

::cheer::

*peace*

Meg.
Can't try it right now 'cause I'm at a box at college. I'll test it tonight Wink
Meg, a door game written in QBasic?

(I also did the whole little MUD thing but never got quite so far. I figured it would just stop being fun as a one player game.. unless yours has telnet logins.)
Yeah, I wrote a door game in QBasic. It's called Dungeon and it an upgraded version to a single-player game I made on an old TI-82 calculator =)

Whenever I get around to setting up a BBS on my computer I'll put up the door game and post you all a link at this forum.

This MUD (Atrinar, posted above), is a one-player-at-a-time game, unfortunately. Still might be worth a look, though. I had a blast making the world and having a friend of mine playtest it.

*peace*

Meg.
Meg, do you know where I could find documentation about setting up a telnet server and coding games for it? Would it be possible to code games using QB?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid, but I know 0% about the topic and how it works.