Poll: Will you switch to Linux if FB were ported to it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, let us thumb our collective noses at M$
100.00%
18 100.00%
No, I enjoy the pain of using an OS designed for people with room temprature IQ\'s
0%
0 0%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Migrating to Linux
I was right in the middle of writing a post when swindows crashed on me. Again. I am officially fed up. As soons as an FB port is available for 'nix I'm scraping this $#^@% bloody joke of an operating system totally. Indeed, I'm going to install Debian on my Laptop as soon as I have the time to do so.
So, following that rant I have question, will having a real BASIC for Linux push you over the edge and switch ?
his sig left intentionally blank
Linux crash just as often as windows.

People just don't complain, cause if linux crash, it's generally accepted to be your fault, you stupid n00b!!111.

But if windows crash, DAMN MS!, THOSE STUPID MORONIC ASSHOLES! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!

Nevermind the fact that you made your system crash yourself, by bloating it with "feutures"

I reinsalled win98 a few days ago, works just fine (except for when i make it crash), the install i had before that was over 4 years old.
This computer has five programs on that were not part of the standard win XP install.
Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird
Quickbasic 4.5
FreeBASIC
Microsoft Train Simulator

Four of those five programs should not cause XP to crash. QB has some funky DOS issues when running under XP, but that said, this comp has yet to crash while it is running. But I digress....

I'm not an M$ hater. I would use a windows operating system in the future if it was a better product. But by that same vain, I will (and am, Debian is installing on my laptop as I type this) gladly abandon windows for a better product .
his sig left intentionally blank
Quote:People just don't complain, cause if linux crash, it's generally accepted to be your fault, you stupid n00b!!111.

But if windows crash, DAMN MS!, THOSE STUPID MORONIC ASSHOLES!
I know you're being sarcastic, but that really is true in my experience:
Linux has rarely crashed on me, and when it did I was able to learn why, how *I* had caused it, and how to avoid it.
Windows XP has only crashed once or twice in 1+1/2 to 2 years, but back when I was using 98 - it would crash way too often and sometimes without any apparent cause or explanation. And I've heard the Windows ME is even worse.

Maybe it's because there's more of a community surrounding Linux, more forums, FAQs/tutorials, enthusiasts/gurus to answers questions, that people aren't left without an explanation for their crashes, that people don't just blame it on Linux.

Anyway, to answer the topic question:
I already dual boot, but if FB ran on Linux I'd program more often on Linux than on Windows. I wouldn't entirely switch though (I play Windows games).
linux is still not a desktop environment, especially if you consider it as a multimedia / game plattform. i know there's ports of a bunch of good games, but it will take years before it gets even close to windows.

despite that, it's a great developement plattform and best of all it comes for free. and it's a good thing to learn a little bit more about computers and operating systems if you want that.

i don't think windows is bad after all, dual boot is the best choice at this moment i guess...
quote="NecrosIhsan"]
[Image: yagl1.png]
[/quote]
I would consider migrating to Linux if I had my own computer.

And if I, uh, could let go of games... Wink

--j_k
size=9]"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt[/size]
Well, I'll avoid the old MS vs Linux argument for now, and answer the question. I'm a linux user, and if FB were ported to linux I would definately check it out and maybe use it consistently. However, considering I don't dual boot, unless it is ported I won't see it. Also a fair deal of the people that would appreciate a new programming language and could contribute are using linux, so porting could be helpful to the FB developement as well.
Where is the "no, i want to use windows because im not (stupid and think that ms is the root directory of all evil.)" option?

Har har! get it! root ..... directory! ahahahahhahahahahah

But seriously, i need that option.
See why I say "religion of linux"?

Why linux users feel the need of convincing everyone to join their religion? It's just like the religion of firefox. Why you all feel the need to add a firefox button to your signatures? are these guys paying you for your advertising or something?

My Windows XP box does not crash. Period. Right now my computer has been on for two weeks and it works like when I switched it on. I haven't formatted this since I installed it more than 1.5 years ago. In my other partition, I have a windows 98SE which I installed in 2001. Windows 98SE used to crash. Allowing direct access to devices is bad practice when you have a multitasking OS, but that's now gone with 2K/XP/2003.

In 99% of crashes, it's not the OS, but the faulty user. If you don't know how to work on Windows, it will crash. And 99% of people think that they know how to work on Windows but they don't.

I can crash Linux as many times as I can crash Windows.

I use Linux for servers. Using it for your desktop is... well. Things that can be done with 1 click need 10 lines of commands. It's free, great, it's secure, of course. It's so sexy that you can control everything... But it's a pain in the ass for daily use. And that's a truth. I know what I am talking about, having to work with Linux boxes at college and feeling the pain of making devices work. I agree, that's not a Linux fault, but hey, that's not my fault either, so I prefer to have my stuff working, working fast, and without much hassle. Plus I also play games, multimedia, and lots of stuff.

Whenever I talk to a linux user he or she has a problem going. "I can't make my recorder to burn", "I can't make my printer to print", "I can't make my scanner to scan".

Now I consider linux users to actually like all those problems, 'cause I find that Linux is a hobbie itself, I mean, linux lovers actually get fun repairing it and making stuff work.

I can respect that, but you linux geeks should respect us as well, who don't enjoy having to recompile the kernel just to add support for an old NIC.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Quote:See why I say "religion on linux"?

Yeah :roll:

Quote:My Windows XP box does not crash. Period.

Agreed. WinXP appears incredibly stable. I havent managed to crash it yet. And ive had my computer for about 2.5 years now.

I really do think that Linux is a religion. One of my friends is being sucked in now, with the whole "M$ suXX0Rs!! LOlolOLol!!"

FFS get over it people