Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am proud to announce the opening of my new FB demo compo!
Dearest, DEAREST all of you truly splendid QB45/QB71/FB community ( :king:=b !! ),

A very *excellent* new week to all of you, ladies and gentlemen.

Heading smack-dab into the subject now, I am both personally and so happily proud to give you the very word that my newest FreeBASIC-only compo has just been opened this afternoon in honor of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central reaching a milestone of over 50 graphics demos already since my FB demoscene opened less than a year ago!! The title of this new compo is called the “FreeBASIC Ultimate Demo Compo”, and believe me, people, you are gonna love this compo much better than my previous three compos, I can guarantee you that right now!!! Big Grin !

Here is some of what to expect from this fourth (4th) compo from me: it is faster, bigger, simpler, and a whole entirely different breed of compo. And I will tell you too that the rules have changed DRASTICALLY for the better, as well!! Cool

Details are available beginning at http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/fbgfx/compo.html, and absolutely *no* registration or sign-ups are necessary for you to enter, too!

See you there, and thanks so much for your wonderful time!!! :king:

PROMISING TO GIVE TO YOU THE BEST EVER COMPO-WISE,

[Image: file.php?id=32]
Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow” ::: Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger” ::: Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
Original Creator of the “The New FreeBASIC 8-Bit Palette Machine”
url=http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/][Image: file.php?id=194][/url]
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
GET RID OF THE RIGHTCLICK DISABLING CRAP! NOW!

Quote:4 OpenGL *is* allowed, but it needs to be within the usage of GFXlib 2 only, please.
GFXLib only allows you to create an openGL window, you cant do anything else with it without using the actuall openGL routines.
Meaning you can do whatever you want.

Also, rule 3.. thats just stupid, if I may epxress myself so freely.

Like you point out yourself, it's just a simple compile parameter, it doesent affect anything.. So what if there's a consol window.. if it bothers you that much.. well, TOUGH..

Also, I cant read the other rules.. page wont load.. stop using word already..
javascript:void(document.oncontextmenu=null) in the address bar..

*tada*

I dont see the point in disabling right clicks - they can always be worked around..
Actually it makes firefox crash.
Quote:Actually it makes firefox crash.

"javascript:void(document.oncontextmenu=null)"? or Adiguns page?
To Z!re:

Let me make a few valid points.

First, I can disable right clicking.... but only upon me choosing to do so, ok? That is all. I have not used Firefox (FF) at all, and I do not plan on switching to Firefox, too. But I can disable right-clicking, even if it does make FF crash, Z!re. Big Grin

Secondly, I customized the new compo pages manually *without* using MS-Word at all. I just re-arranged it in plain ‘ol HTML. Wink So what if my page is slow (probably some server trouble, but it will be remedied!), at least it does come up nice and fresh.

Thirdly, in terms of me allowing OpenGL in this compo, Z!re, if you would look at http://forum.qbasicnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=9736 where Rattrapmax6 did a little OpenGL project within the use of GFXlib 2, you would see what I am clearly talking about on that. That is all I am saying. NOW do you understand? Wink

Fourth, the requirement about not allowing an “MS-DOS”-based console window in a Windows-based entry is there for a reason. This makes for a *vitally* important step forward towards a potentially professional-looking graphics demo or program, Z!re, and I honestly do not believe for one moment that it makes it stupid. EVER. Let me kindly show you this command-line example:

Code:
fbc example.bas -s gui

See, simple. :king:

And finally, remember that this topic is mainly about introducing my new FB compo. I want to be sure we are on track here.

No pressure on anybody, and I am not arguing. I am only just pointing out some things. Cool Until next time, peace.

- Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow” ::: Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger” ::: Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
so, how can a person show a fullscreen/windowed menu without opening gfxlib in the first place, other than a console window? or would you rather have it start out windowed and make it an option to go fullscreen.
ttp://m0n573r.afraid.org/
Quote:quote: "<+whtiger> you... you don't know which way the earth spins?" ... see... stupidity leads to reverence, reverence to shakiness, shakiness to... the dark side
...phear
To dumbledore:

In a Windows-based program in FB, the way you can build up a selection screen *without* an MS-DOS console window is to simply do so within GFXlib 2, by beginning your new program with just a simple graphics mode in its own windowed format, dumbledore. From there, you can enable your users to select between full-screen and windowed modes for your main demo graphics. Not as confusing as some might think it to be, and there is nothing wrong with that as according to the new rules of my compo. Try it! Big Grin

Thanks a lot for that very good question, man!! :king:

- Adigun Azikiwe Polack
Code:
<br><br>

<p><DIV id=oFilterDIV
style="position:absolute; FILTER: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(color='black', Direction=125, Strength=3)
progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(color='gray', Direction=90, Strength=3)
progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(color='gray', Direction=180, Strength=3)
; ">

<br><br><br><br><br>
<P class=Section1 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN
style="COLOR: white; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">The
<B>FreeBASIC Ultimate Demo Compo</B> is presented to you by Adigun
Azikiwe Polack.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<br><br><br>
<p align=center style='MARGIN-LEFT: 0.25in; text-align:center'><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Tahoma;color:white'>©2005 Adigun Azikiwe Polack.<span
style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>All Rights Reserved.</span><span
style='color:white'><o:p></o:p></span></p>
<br><br>

Wow.

I have trouble believing that you didn't use Word or at least Frontpage. You know, if you used proper semantic and even attempted some efficiency in that webpage, you could reduce it's size by half.

I also suggest you check a web reference to see what the <span></span> element is supposed to do. Oh, and a tutorial on linking stylesheets. And possibly I'd begin with a tutorial on semantics. If you want some links on excellent resources and reference guides, just ask or pm me.

By the way, in Firefox in the options you can set advanced Javascript settings - I've made it so that right click disabling is...disabled by default.

Anyway as for your actual competition rules...on your second page of rules:

Quote:4. If your project is a Windows-based graphics demo in FB, then from the moment it starts running, please implement a menu screen to enable your users to select between full-screen and windowed modes before your main demo graphics begins.

Are you too lazy to press Alt+Enter?

Quote:Maximum file size is 5,000,000 bytes (or 5mb), and limit only one (1) entry per person/team, please.

5,000,000 bytes is around 4.76 MB. This is about 5% off what you actually stated. Do you mean 5mb or 5,000,000 bytes?

Quote:So then, if you violate any of the rules, you will be given at least a warning by me. On your second (2nd) violation, you will be disqualified from this compo. And as well, if you choose to come back (even after your disqualification), you are most absolutely welcome to do so in my next FreeBASIC Ultimate Demo Compo!! ;-) !

Is a second violation even possible? That automatically means we are breaking the rule saying one entry per person.

Quote:5. As well, have your users exit back to Windows or MS-DOS by him/her pressing the “ESC” key just one (1) time during your project. And do not forget, make sure your user gets exited back to Windows/DOS automatically once the run-time of your graphics demo is finally completed.

Where else would you escape to?

I am pointing out these flaws because I'm trying to show that you really don't need so many rules. You need to say: "Make a retro-styled demo in FB using GFXLIB, in any colour depth, and any screen res up till 800x600. One entry per person/team, due 31st August."

The other reason is, if you do want to try be professional, at least attempt to appear so, by proof-reading your work to correct the huge number of grammatical and hypocritical mistakes.
·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡~æthérFòx~¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·-
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
What the heck is the point of disabling right-clicking anyway? If you're afraid that people get the urls of the images and dl them, well, they can just view the html source...

And you should really sort out the priorities on those rules... You only frustrate people with so many limitations (same goes for right clicking disabled... it's just silly)
url=http://www.copy-pasta.com]CopyPasta[/url] - FilePasta